After I tried (and Gwyneth begged to try) this recipe we pinned from Tasty Kitchen, Gwyneth and I knew we had to share with you!
These burritos are delicious, nutritious and even better as leftovers. We tried this recipe one night last week and loved it so much that we had to find a way to make it work for breakfast the next morning. Now these Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos and their breakfast omelette variation are two of our favorite dishes!
Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos
Recipe adapted from Tasty Kitchen
4c sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 jalepeno peppers, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
2t extra virgin olive oil
1t chili powder
Pinch salt & pepper
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2c cilantro, chopped
Juice from 1 lime
2c shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
Whole wheat tortillas
1. Chop all your veggies.
2. Toss sweet potatoes, jalepeno pepper, bell pepper and onion with olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
3. Place mixture in a large baking dish and roast at 425F for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
4. In medium-sized bowl, mix black beans, cilantro and lime juice. (You might want to start eating it now, but don’t – it gets better!)
5. Store extra mixture for future use.
6. Spray tortilla with cooking spray, and set (sprayed side down) on aluminum foil.
7. Top with veggie mixture and cheese.
8. Roll up your burrito and bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
Veggie mixture makes 6 burritos. (Unless you use some for this tasty omelette!)
Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Omlette
1 portion leftover mixture from burritos
1c liquid egg whites (we like All Whites)
Optional: 1/4c shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (we thought it was delicious without, but would be out of this world with cheese)
1. Spray pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook egg whites over medium-high heat until set and add burrito mixture (and cheese if you are using it).
5. Cook omelette until eggs are done.
Makes 1 enormous omelette (1 enormous omelette that if you’re like us, you’ll have no problem eating all at once!)
mk & Gwynnie
Part of the Link Parties at: