After pouring ourselves into a stack of September issues, Gwyneth and I are getting excited to flip our closet and bust out the Fall wardrobe. The pinboard behind our desk is a sea of looks we can’t wait to try, but there’s one that’s most prominent – leather.
We shopped our closet to see what we had to work with, and we were surprised to find we don’t have one piece of leather apparel. How can this be? We’re guessing it’s for the same reasons you might be apprehensive to try the trend. First, leather is expensive, and faux leather can look cheap. Second, there’s a very thin line that you don’t want to cross when wearing leather. Because when you do, you can look like a working girl, rather than a girl who works.
You know we believe there is no problem that can’t be solved, so Gwyneth and I did some research and found several great pieces under $200 and a few under $100. They’re affordable and are just as classy as you are. And if you don’t believe in wearing leather for animal rights reasons, Gwyneth found several faux-leather and vegan options just for you. You’ll see those marked with the pink paw in the shopping guides below.
1. Sinequanone Leather Bottom Dress from Loehmann’s
2. Sanctuary Vegan Leather Shift Dress from Piperlime
3. 901 Coated Leggings from J. Brand
4. Maje Leather and Lace A-Line Dress from The Outnet
5. Patriza Pepe Mixed Media Leather Pants from Loehmann’s
6. Line and Dot Mixed Materials Dress from Anthropologie
7. Maria Coated Leggings from J. Brand
And our favorites under $100:
1. Sparkle and Fade Vegan Leather Skater Skirt from Urban Outfitters
2. Tinley Road Faux Leather Peplum Top from Piperlime
3. Tinley Road Faux Leather Pencil Skirt from Piperlime
4. Stefano Mortari Faux Leather Tank from Yoox
5. Zip Back Faux Leather Panel Pencil Skirt from Express
Naturally, we discovered some more expensive (but gorgeous) finds during our research. If you’re up for a splurge, we’d recommend starting with these:
1. Helmut Lang Petrol Leather Skirt from Nordstrom
2. Theory Solora Stretch Cotton and Leather Dress from Net-A-Porter
3. Cynthia Steffe ‘Dylan’ Leather Yoke Peplum Dress from Nordstrom
4. Combo Bustier Dress from Rebecca Taylor
5. Tweed Jacket from Rebecca Taylor
mk & Gwynnie