DIY Studded Trench

It’s always smart to consider the source, but Gwyneth and I believe the way to make a basic better is to bedazzle it. So that’s just what we did. Gwyneth and I shopped our closet for our classic trench and picked up a few 9×9 mm pyramid studs from M&J Trimming to make our DIY Studded Trench.

You don’t need a tutorial to try this at home – this DIY could not be easier. Just gently press the studs through the top side of the fabric and use a small set of pliers to fold the prongs down on the other side.

Other than the studs and pliers, all you need is time. The semi-circle design we did on the sleeves of our trench took 240 studs total. We’ve spent the past week working on ours a little bit at a time, but we’d estimate we spent a total of four hours applying the studs. If Gwyneth didn’t take her role as Quality Assurance so seriously – standing on my lap and carefully examining each stud I applied – it might have gone a little quicker.

Shopping Guide:
1. Andara Dark Green Dangle Earrings from Max & Chloe
2. Monogram Necklace from Charlotte’s
3. Striped Tee from Anthropologie (old, but similar style at Piperlime)
4. DKNY Trench from Nordstrom

Shopping Guide:
1. Cat Eye Sunglasses from Old Navy (old, but similar style at Urban Outfitters)
2. Max Studio Tutu (old, but similar style at Shopbop)
3. Shopper Basket Handbag from Zara (out of stock, but similar style at Stylebop)
4. Nude Patent Pumps (old, but similar style at Nordstrom)

Shop This Post:

mk & Gwyneth

Part of the Link Parties at:

All Stars Block PartyLive Laugh RoweThe Shabby Creek CottageEmbracing ChangeAdorned From AboveBlissful and DomesticFive Days, Five WaysCountdown to Fall at Domestically SpeakingFunky Junk InteriorsTatertots and JelloTutus and TeapartiesToo Much Time On My HandsIt’s OverflowingDIY ShowoffThe Girl CreativeOur Delightful HomeCoastal CharmHome Stories A to ZProject QueenSavvy Southern Style, EtcetorizeGloss & Gumdrops Loving Lately

Comments

1. I love it! It changes the whole look of the trench! So glad Gwynnie was there – when dealing with multiple studs things tend to get crazy without someone to remind you it’s about quality. However, don’t be surprised if you wake up one morning to Miss Gwyneth sporting a bedazzled collar!

Thanks, JTC! And you are a mind reader! We have just enough studs leftover to give one of Gwyneth’s collars a makeover! Gwyneth thinks it’s about time one of our DIYs be for her, and I agree!
      Have an awesome Monday!

2. Love the bedazzling! It makes a great statement!

3. Matllda Joyce says:

That looks great, I’m impressed. I’d love to try it on a non-beige coat and see how it looks where there’s more of a contrast with the colors.

Hi Matilda! Thank you! And we definitely agree – we think it would look AH-MAZING on a black! You are tempting us to shop our closet for more potential DIYs!

xo,

4. Ok, so i thought the shoe pom poms were fabulous….THIS is seriously so good. i am going to do it. and i’m getting ready to do a post about it. everyone must know.

You are such a gem! Thank you so much for sharing our trench with your readers!! Please send us a photo of your trench when you’re done with it!

5. Wow! Love it! Soooooo stylish and trendy. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week~

6. I love a simple DIY! The studs add a great edgy contrast to the otherwise classic trench.

7. This is such a creative idea!

I found your blog via Blissful & Domestic’s link party!

Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

8. Um, wow, that’s smoking hot. Love it. Thanks so much for the trim source, too. Me thinks I may be studding something. (Wait, does that sound gross?)

Thank you! It was SO easy! And HA on “studding something.” Can’t tell you how many bad puns we refrained from using when writing this post!

9. Hi Girls!!

I am so glad you stopped by my blog so i found this great tutorial! This is awesome!! If you wouldnt mind i would love to feature it on my blog? Let me know! (k@makeitandfakiet.com)

Love K

You are so sweet! Yes, of course you may feature our trench! Thank you!
      So glad you found us – we’re big fans!!

10. New reader here! This is a cool DIY especially since I’m about to buy a thrifted trench coat. :)

Diwata
    Join the Dark Shadows BluRay Giveaway

Hi Diwata! So glad you found us! Thanks for the compliment on our trench! If you add studs to your thrifted trench, please be sure to send us a pic!

Trackbacks

1. [...] options. Personally, we’re loving this DIY studded trench coat by Meredith and Gwyneth of Meredith and Gwyneth, The New Yorkie. They used studs from M&J Trimming to embellish this coat, and the end result is to die for. [...]

2. [...] Studded Trench at Meredith & Gwyneth, The New Yorkie /* Filed Under: Coats · Tagged With: studded trench, studded trench coat, trench [...]