Do you give your outerwear as much thought as you give the rest of your outfits? If you’re like us, by the time you’re reaching into the coat closet, you’re rushing. We know from experience that this results in being neither comfortable nor cute. So let’s get ahead of it this year and be prepared with outerwear looks that feel and look as great as what’s underneath. With NYC’s Fall temperatures ranging from crisp to frigid, we’ve already put all three of the looks you need to the test. So here are the sporty, everyday and sophisticated looks we’ve put together and shopping guides to help get your coat closets in check.
Whether it’s to the pumpkin patch, a football game or (Gwyneth’s favorite) the dog park, you’re going to be spending time outdoors where you’ll need a casual, sporty look. Outside, your outerwear is your outfit. So why not use your coat, scarf, gloves and hat to try one of our favorite trends – colorblocking!.
1. Aviator Sunglasses from Target
2. Aurora Scarf c/o Icebreaker
3. Pea Coat from J. Crew (old, but similar style at Express)
4. Michael Kors Watch from Charlotte’s
5. J. Brand Dark Skinny Jeans from Piperlime
6. Brown Suede Boots from Urban Outfitters (old, but similar style at Piperlime)
The weather for our trip to the dog park was relatively mild, but we know that will be changing soon. Gwyneth and her built-in fur coat look forward to weekend catch-up sessions with her girlfriends, so I’ll be adding the rest of my Icebreaker gear as temperatures drop. My Aurora Scarf, my Aurora Hat and Gloves are all made of super-fine merino wool to keep me toasty warm and cozy.
This was a tough one for us to accept last year, but every gal living north of the Mason Dixon line needs a good puffer coat. The good thing about puffer coats is that you look like you’ve lost 50 pounds the minute you take it off. The bad thing about puffer coats is that the opposite is true when you’re wearing it. Unless you try this trick – belt it. No, not with the belt that comes with your coat. That nylon scrap of fabric isn’t going to do anything for you. Instead, shop your closet for your favorite leather belt, slide that puppy through the belt loops and cinch it around your waist.
1. Ray-Ban Original Wayfarers from Pacific Sunwear
2. Chevron Drop Earrings from BaubleBar
3. Faux Fur Trim Puffer Coat from Land’s End (old, similar style at Neiman Marcus)
4. Studded Belt from Gena Chandler
5. Balenciaga First Tote from Barney’s
6. DIY Dyed Denim Skinnies
7. Brown Slouch Booties from Nordstrom (similar style at Nordstrom)
Sayonara, Pillsbury Doughboy.
The best option for staying toasty warm and not disrespecting your more sophisticated outfits is fur. Real or faux, choose what works for your beliefs and budget. But choose to save your puffer for everyday.
1. Cat Eye Sunglasses from Old Navy (old, similar style at Urban Outfitters)
2. Faux Gem Stud Earrings from Forever 21
3. Vintage Swing Faux Fur Coat from ASOS
4. Valentino Bow Bag from Gena Chandler
5. Chain Link Bracelet from J. Crew (old, but similar style at Max & Chloe)
6. Classic Pave Chain Link Bracelet from J. Crew
7. Elizabeth & James Stretch Knit Dress from Nordstrom
8. Spanx Tight End Tights from Nordstrom
9. Stuart Weitzman Suede Boots from Farfetch
So is your coat closet stocked?
mk & Gwynnie
Part of the Link Party at: