Dumpster Diver For Hire – Gwyneth’s Latest Work

If you are looking for furniture and are on a budget, Gwyneth is taking new clients. She specializes in eclectic cottage decor and considers pink a neutral. While always pleasant to work with, Gwyneth does ask clients to understand that if it looks like she’s sleeping on the job, she’s not. She’s letting the creative juices marinate. Gwyneth accepts payment in the form of treats, and her terms are net immediately.

Why is Gwyneth looking for new business? Although she and I have discussed it several times, Gwyneth refuses to accept that we are out of space for new Dumpster Dive finds. To show just how serious she is, Gwyneth made two discoveries in a period of 12 hours:

As you can see, the first oversized basket made it’s way up to our apartment, as did the second one Gwyneth discovered twelve hours later. As a compromise, we agreed that we would take on this project and somehow find space for it in the apartment. Then, Gwyneth will limit her Dumpster Diving for new clients only. Let us know if you’re interested!

So now that we have these two baskets in the apartment, what are we going to do with them? We’ve brainstormed a few ideas and would love to know what you think abou them, or if you have any others! Our first thought was to add legs and make a two tiered cart or side table like this one from Better Homes and Gardens:

Since the two-tiered option could require some carpentry that we have neither skills nor space for, we also discussed purchasing an X-Stand and making a large tray table instead like this one we saw on Pinterest (original source is unknown, sorry!):

With the tray table option, I suggested the leftover basket we’d have would make for amazing storage under the bed if we just added a set of wheels like this one sold at Pottery Barn:

Gwyneth then reminded me that it’s the season where we should be thinking of others instead of ourselves. Therefore, she thought we should definitely add wheels to the extra basket, but make an extra cozy Yorkie-sized trundle bed master suite instead. Love how she’s always thinking of others.

So as you can see, we could use your thoughts on what to do with these baskets! Please let us know what you think! (And if you’d like to take advantage of Gwyneth’s services for yourself!)

Comments

1. Love this! Definitely go to your closest hardware store: is there a Home Depot in Manhattan? and purchase those wheels….you might need to cut a piece of 3/8″ plywood to place in the bottom of each basket to support any weight and for getting a good, sturdy attachment of the wheels. But I think one for storage under the bed and the other for a new master suite for Gwyneth would be THE BOMB!!! Can’t wait to see your final reveal! This is simple and I know you can do it…..especially if you have that good hardware store where they will cut the plywood down to size for you at no charge while you wait!

Thanks, Vickie! So appreciate this – especially the plywood suggestion to make it sturdy! Not sure we would have thought of that! And Gwyneth is thrilled to hear that you are in favor of the master suite! We can’t wait to start working on this! Have a wonderful day!

2. i think under bed storage and a space for gwyneth would be great! especially if they both fit under the bed so they dont take up space.

Yes, you and cleshopaholic are thinking alike! We’re going to do a little test and see if both fit. We’ll see! Thanks for weighing in!!

mk & G

3. Do you have room under your bed for both baskets? Then you can do the bed AND the storage for your own stuff. A little for her, a little for you ; )

This is an excellent point, and the answer is that we’re not 100% sure. We need to do a little test. If you can believe it (and I’m sure you can), we have a twin bed frame stored under there from one of Gwyneth’s “dives” last Fall. What we really need is a bigger apartment!

mk & G

4. Oh you two, you know I love it when you dumpster dive!! I LOVE the X stand, I just saw a diy today when I was blog hopping, an X base table – I’ll try to find it (keep your fingers crossed). The rolling basket would be perfect under the bed storage. I would have bet my life G slept ON your bed! :)

Pam, this week is for you from Gwyneth, then!

Since we posted this morning, Gwyneth found TWO more items from the dumpster. Seriously, you can’t make this stuff up! And naturally, we took them. Will share soon! As for the current “dives,” we would LOVE to see that tutorial if you are able to find it! And you guessed right on Gwyneth’s preferred sleeping arrangements. Not sure why she’s campaigning for the master suite, considering she likes to sleep perpendicular to the headboard, taking up more than half of a queen sized bed!

5. Matilda Joyce says:

Can’t wait to be surprised, but I do love that x-stand table!

The X-Stand table is definitely going to happen! Have you seen any bases (either for sale or DIY) that we need to know about?

mk & G

6. I found it, not exactly what I remembered, but it does have legs, ha! :)

THANK YOU! This is a great tutorial! Might totally work for us! We’re excited to get started this weekend! Update soon, we hope!
      Thank you again, Pam! Have a great weekend!

mk

7. I would love to make use of Gwyneth’s services, but New York to Lubbock, Texas would be a bit hard… :)

I think that the basket-with-casters-under-the-bed is a great idea…and can also see it used as a table top. I know whatever you decide to do…it will be fanulous!

Give that sweet pooch a pet for me! She sure is adorable…and my two boys think she is pretty adorable too, and send out a hollawoof to her! I think we have a case of long distance pooch love in the making! ha

Hi Laura! Great idea with the table top! We can’t wait to get working on this one and figure out exactly what we are doing!
      Gwyneth was so flattered to hear that your boys thought she was cute. Definitely a long-distance puppy relationship in the making!

8. Okay, I think this might be my favorite post ever! You had me chuckling and smiling along. That Gwyneth is such a cutie. And I think a roller master bed would be perfect for her … though I’m pretty sure she snuggles up with you on the big girl bed each night … so the rolling basket bed would be for daytime lounging and creative brainstorming!

Linda

Hi Linda! You guessed right – Gwyneth definitely makes herself right at home on the bed (and every piece of furniture for that matter)! But we’re leaning towards using one for under the bed storage or Gwyneth lounging and the other for a tray table! We’re hoping to finally get started this week! Wish us luck!

mk & G