Putting The City Behind Us & Thank You

Brooklyn Bridge

Dearest friends – It has been a while since you’ve heard from us, but you have been a constant on our minds since we went off the grid last week. In fact, your comments and emails are a big part of why Gwyneth and I are unpacking our belongings at my parents’ house in North Carolina today instead of checking ourselves into a mental institution.

Our original plan was to move out of NYC by the end of the month, but last Wednesday we got some wonderful news from our apartment building that kicked us into high gear. Our iron-clad lease stated that we’d be responsible for paying rent through the end of May – no matter what. But thankfully, our landlord made an exception for us. Gwyneth and I could get out of the lease as soon as they found a new tenant. The only catch? We’d have to be completely out by Friday night, so they could start showing the apartment on Saturday morning. So things like the blog, the inbox, showering, eating and sleeping got moved to the back burner while I packed, spackeled and painted like a maniac.

Now, here’s where you come in. I’d love to say that I packed and painted the apartment with a smile on my face, filled with optimism for the future. But really, I spent those last few days painting with one hand and blowing my nose with the other. If it weren’t for the comment thread on this post, I think I’d still be sobbing on the bathroom floor, surrounded by unpacked boxes. While I haven’t responded to any of them yet (and that will absolutely happen this week), I have each of your comments memorized. Because when the pity party got started, I whipped out my phone, read a few comments and packed another few boxes. It was like you were there bubble wrapping with me. THANK YOU. I am grateful.

The bad news is that NYC didn’t work out the way Gwyneth and I hoped it would have. The good news is that we’re ready to put that behind us, and frankly, we don’t have time for any more sobbing. We’ve got 397 comments and emails to answer, four awesome gift guides we’re late on posting, a new walk-in closet to shop from and a space and a life we can’t wait to set up. Thank you for getting us home. Now let’s decorate.

Comments

1. I wish you well with your transition and love that you have such an optimistic outlook! It is so true that everything happens for a reason, and I cant’t wait to continue reading and see what North Carolina has in store for you and Gwynnie! xoxo

Hi Niki! Thank you so much for the well wishes – can’t tell you how much it all means!
      As for having an optimistic outlook….well, maybe sort of. We just didn’t subject y’all to the days when it wasn’t so sunny!
      So glad to have you reading, and we will definitely be sharing what NC has in store for us! We’ll start with our new place – as soon as we get through all these boxes!
      Hope you are having a wonderful holiday and thank you again for all your support! We love you!

2. Im glad to hear that you are happy and safe in your parent’s loving home, and that everything went well with the lease.
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Bright New Year, full of hope and new good things to come!!
    NYC can be a very hard and tough place to live some days…i agree everything happens for a reason :)
    thanks for all

Good Luck!!

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year back ‘atcha!
      And you are 100% right – we’re so lucky to have parents to take us in (plus our 67 boxes and all our dumpster dives!)
      Thank you so much for making our day, Maria!

3. Well now I feel just terrible that I didn’t post on your original post. (My own guilt, nothing you’ve said.) I’m a fellow Carolina Girl who has been living in DC for the past 5 years. I’m actually home for the holidays in eastern NC right now. I now how hard and intimidating it is to leave the South and try to make your way elsewhere, especially in the northern elsewhere, and can’t commend you enough for trying. And succeeding. NO “failing” at all. None. I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog the past few months and really look forward to reading it in the future as you find your footing again. Which you will. Even if the economy wasn’t in shambles, I still don’t think there’s anything wrong with ending up back home for a bit. So please feel no shame there. I wish you and Gwyneth all the best and lots of luck as you figure out y’alls future. And I hope you’ll continue to blog about it as you do in your honest and open manner.

• Oh, Bonnie honey, I’m in the Metro DC area and it’s hard ground! I’ve had a lot of friends jettison this place for NC, and just another one moved back this week! But I’m a native to this place, eeeek!

I can’t say I blame them..from what I’ve heard NC a “kinder, gentler” place.

And Meredith dear, look forward, not behind you. Please do feel you must answer my comment re: you moving to NC, as your life is way too busy, and fun filled! Just think if you’d never tried, as Bonnie stated (imaging it in her NC drawl).

XO and Happy Holidays, and No Tears, No Fear, Just Cheer!

Yes, looking forward for sure, Margaret! We think the hardest part is behind us!
        And you can count on us replying to your comment – We aren’t too busy to say a proper thank you to y’all who kept us going during a tough time!
        Sending lots of love to DC!

Bonnie, don’t you dare feel terrible! This is a marathon, not a sprint, and we’re lucky to have you cheering us on! We are so glad to have you reading, and you can count on us telling our NC story just as we did in NYC – the good stuff & the big messes too! We hope your week is off to a wonderful start!

4. Matllda Joyce says:

SO GLAD to hear from you and so glad your apartment’s lease worked out the way it did! Can’t wait for a tour of the new space! Give G. a doggie treat from me!

Hi Matilda!

THANK YOU! Yes, the apartment lease is a huge relief – now someone just has to rent it!!
      We’re wading through boxes this week, but hope to have the new place set up and ready to share soon! If you can believe it, our space (formerly the playroom at my parents’ house) is bigger than the NYC apartment! We won’t know what do to with all the space! Will definitely give Little G a treat for you tonight!
      Lots of love from NC!

5. i’m glad you made it there safe and that you might get out of your lease. and i am excited to see what you will do with the next chapter of your life. :) it’s been a wonderful story so far. ps you and g should be getting a package this week. :)

Sweet friend, Elle! You are such a gem! Thank you for keeping us going these past few weeks! And Gwyneth was absolutely delighted with today’s mail! You are too much – THANK YOU! Photos and a proper thank you to come soon! We love you to pieces!

mk & Gwyneth

6. Unpack and open up to the possibilities (even if they aren’t so visible yet)!

Yes, opportunity doesn’t always come knocking exactly when or how you’d choose, right? The sad part is behind us, so onto the good part – discovering what’s to come!
      Thank you so much for cheering us on! Lots of love!

7. MK – Let’s get together when you are settled. I’ve love to catch up! Welcome home. :)
    XO,
    Whit

Whitney! Thank you! One of the silver linings of all of this is getting to catch up with friends like you! Check your inbox! Dying to see you and that beautiful new home of yours!

8. Having lived in NYC for a year myself and then moved home to England under similar circumstances, I understand your feelings, but I hope in a few years time you will think as I now do, that it actually ‘did me a favour’ moving home. As they say when one door closes….
    Good luck to you and Gwyneth with everything that North Carolina has to offer you. x

Hi Lucy! It always means a lot to hear when someone has been in our same situation. Thank you! Yes, down the road we are sure we’ll be grateful that things worked out exactly the way they did. Thanks so much again, and all the best to you back home in the UK!

9. Welcome back to Raleigh! It’s not New York but it’s pretty good. You’ll make it better!

10. Wishing you and Gynneth the best of Christmases and a wonderful new year. So glad you made safely back home. I hope you keep up with the blog as I look forward to hearing about all your wonderful new adventures.

Hi Ann! We did have a wonderful holiday! Thank you so much – we hope you did too! We’ll be sharing our new space in a few posts this week & next, so be on the lookout!

Meredith & Gwyneth

11. Well, I’ve been under the weather and out of touch ~ feel like I’ve lost most of Dec. Now, I find out that you’re in NC. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for you ~ I know it’s going to be awesome! Your NYC apt was so incredibly beautiful! You made it look like a professional had been there. Perhaps that is a new calling for you??? You are an amazing thrifter, painter and decorator!! I will be anxiously awaiting the new space in NC reveal. :)

I hope that you had a very Merry Christmas and I know that 2013 will be YOUR year!
    xo
    Pat

Pat, we are with you! We feel like we missed most of December too with the move & the holidays! Yes, we are back in North Carolina, and things are turning around! We’ve been unpacking and decorating like crazy and can’t wait to start sharing our new space with y’all! First post is coming up this week! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment. Seeing these come in definitely made this whole mess a thousand times more bearable! We’re so glad to have you reading!