{DIY} Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater

As gals who believe basics are better when theyre bedazzled and that fashion should be fun first, Gwyneth and I have had our eyes on Markus Lupfers embellished knits for a while. When we saw this Sequin Sunglasses Embellished Sweater from Net-a-Porter, we knew we couldnt live without it. But at $385.00, it didnt seem like the wisest living expense to squeeze in the budget.

Since we couldnt buy, we chose to DIY. And were sharing the tutorial today, so you can too.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater

Shopping Guide:
1. Garnet Drop Earrings from Jewel Africa (similar, costume style at BaubleBar)
2. Essential Lipstick in Sociable c/o e.l.f. Cosmetics
3. DIY Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Tutorial below (or Markus Lupfer Sweater from Net-a-Porter)
4. Rhinestone Bracelet from Forever 21 (old, but similar style at Piperlime)
5. Michael Kors Watch from Charlottes
6. Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Its Raining Men from Beauty.com
7. Emerald Mini Skirt (old, but similar style on sale at J. Crew)

Now that all the big spenders have left us for Net-a-Porter, lets get on with the project!

Youll need:

1. A basic sweater, ready for some zhushing
  2. An image of your favorite sunglasses silhouette (Google Cateye Sunglasses Silhouette, Wayfarer Sunglasses Silhouette etc)
  3. A 9 x 6 piece of sewing interfacing (available at any fabric/sewing store)
  4. A Sharpie
  5. A 9 x 6 piece of colored felt (for the frame of your sunglasses)
  6. 2 pair of scissors one pair for cutting fabric and one pair for cutting paper
  7. Pins
  8. A 9 x 6 piece of black felt (for the lenses of your sunglasses)
  9. A 9 x 6 piece of sequin fabric
  10. 2 chain (we used this chain from M&J Trimming)
  11. A needle & thread
  12. (Optional) A sewing machine

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Supplies

First, find the sunglasses silhouette you like best. Youll want to make sure its sized appropriately for your sweater. Ours was a little small, so we used PicMonkey to make it 8 wide. Once you have yours sized, print and cut it out. Trace your silhouette onto your interfacing, and cut out your pattern.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 1

Then use your Sharpie to draw the lens onto one of the eyes of your pattern.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 2

Fold your interfacing in half and trace the outline of the lens onto the other eye this step makes sure the two sides match.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 2

Cut the lens area out of the interfacing, pin your pattern to your colored piece of felt and cut out your felt frames.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 4

Layer your frames on top of your sequin fabric and your sequin fabric on top of your black felt. Pin the three layers together.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 5

Cut away the excess sequin fabric & black felt. Dont worry about making it perfect yet its better to have a little extra around the edge than not enough.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 6

Sew the three layers together, going around the entire shape and then each of the lenses. (A big thanks to my Mom for teaching me how to do this!) Carefully trim any black felt or sequins that are showing outside your frames.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 7

Next, hand sew the ends of your chain to the back of your sunglasses. (Double check to make sure your chain is the right length for your desired sunglasses placement on the front before you do this step!)

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 8

Then hand sew a few links to the back neck of your sweater. We tacked our chain on at both shoulder seams and two points between them.

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 9

Lastly, pin and sew your sunglasses to the front of your sweater!

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 10

Please note the attention to detail from my supervisor as I finished up the hand sewing!

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater Step 11

And thats a wrap! Including two emergency walks fake outs to play outside, this project took us five hours from start to finish. Not quick and a little tedious, but our savings made this DIY worth it! We had everything except for the felt and the sequin fabric on hand, so we only spent $3.49! Hows that for a savings of $381.51?!?

DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater

Shop This Post:

mk

Part of the Link Parties at:

Fancy Little Things, Someday Crafts, Southern Lovely, Live Laugh Rowe, House of Hepworths, The 36th Avenue, 504 Main, Fridays Fancies, Serenity Now, Five Days Five Ways, Tatertots and Jello, Tutus and Teaparties, Too Much Time On My Hands, I Heart Naptime, DIY Showoff, Life in a Breakdown, Sumos Sweet Stuff, Home Stories A2Z, Sugar Bee Crafts, Its Overflowing, Be Different Act Normal, Embracing Change

Comments

1. aw, such a lovely thing!
    xo, A.
    RIITZERLAND Photography and Lifestyle Blog

Thank you, Ana! So glad you found us were headed over to check out your blog nowalways looking for some good photography tips and ideas!

mk Gwynnie

2. Your sweater turned out so great! I even like it better than the inspiration!

Thanks, Andi! So sweet of you to say! Now were thinking of all the other styles weve loved and wondering how to recreate those too! LOVED your home tour today, by the way!

mk G

3. I love your sweater!! It came out awesome!! Wow, I cant believe you did this yourself!! Im so impressed, its so good!!

Thank you, Mree! Now that weve dipped our toes (paws) into sewing, theres a whole new world of DIY to explore. (Music to my Moms ears, Im sure!) Hope you are having a wonderful week!

mk G

4. Absolutely amazing!!!

5. I am SO impressed (and inspired). You are brilliant!

-hannah
    justcallmehaha.blogspot.com

6. i like yours better than the original! can you please come to san diego and help me DIY everything?!

Thanks, Elle! We know you can do this yourself, but wed love to come play in San Diego!!! Big hugs and kisses from both of us!

mk Gwynnie

7. You and Gwyneth are too clever! Came out great!

8. Matilda Joyce says:

Wow!

9. So cute! Great job : )

xo
    Rebecca

10. So adorable!!

11. I am not sure how you thought of it, but it is SUPER cute!

hugs x
    Crystelle

This one was thought up out of sheer longing for the version that was WAY out of our budget!
      Thank you!

mk Little G

12. Holy crap.
    This is amazing.
    You guys are so fricken artsy and creative! I cant believe how well this turned out, and youve cojmpletely inspired me to go to Target, buy a cheap sweater, and embellish away!

Id love to do a big letter, or maybe even take the animal-face plunge. A lion, maybe? A peacock? haha.

You guys have totally opened my eyes to how boring Ive been being!
    Now all I need to learn is how to sew!

-Gabrielle

Hi Gabrielle! THANK YOU! We are in the same boat we want to go to Target and make a million versions of these! Love the ideas you have! DO IT! And dont worry too much about the sewing we are complete novices, and the sewing this project requires is so minimal. It could not be any easier promise!

mk G

13. You never cease to amaze me with your bedazzling thrifty ideas! Its stunning, yet easy on he purse!

14. I LOVE this sweater-seriously! I am such a newbie with the sewing machine and I am not 100% sure I could pull it off:)

Hi Kim! Promise that you could do the sewing! I barely know how to operate the machine, and didnt think it was too tough. You can do it!

mk Gwynnie

15. oh my goodness! i love love love love love love it.

I am soooooo making one!!!!!!

Thank you! So glad youre inspired to make your own! Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes!

mk G

16. What a fum sweater!! I love the skirt you paired it with too! Visiting from Sumos Sweet Stuff!

17. Just adorablelove it! I would love for you to submit it on my website!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

18. I think your version looks better than the Net a Porter Version. Pinning it!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Seriously amazing Sunglass Sweater Tute from Meridith and Gwyneth, the New Yorkie. [...]

2. [...] This DIY Markus Lupfer Sequin Sunglasses Sweater from Meredith and Gwyneth, the New Yorkie is adorable. I totally want to wear this right [...]