{DIY} Dumpster Dive Dresser Turned Office Storage Unit

When Gwyneth and I started our May design challenge of creating a “Dream Blogger’s DIY Home Office”, we knew that finding pretty and practical ways to store our supplies would need to be a priority. While we’ve put our DIY Union Jack Trunk to good use, our arsenal of DIY supplies runneth over. You know that we have a habit of saving every scrap of fabric, piece of broken jewelry and loose sequin we can get our paws on!

To keep supplies close and clutter at bay, we repurposed an old Dumpster Dive find to make our DIY Office Storage Unit.

Dumpster Dive Storage Unit With My Overlays

If the piece looks familiar, it’s because it was an Ikea find we rescued from the trash pile on West 30th Street and turned into our Dumpster Dive Dresser with Hutch in our NYC Apartment last August:

Original Dumpster Dive Dresser Makeover

This find was a good candidate for our current makeover since the piece was practically destroyed in the move to North Carolina. (Grrrr…UHaul….) We loved the paint color we chose back in NYC, so we decided to stick with it. So after removing the surviving shreds of paintable wallpaper and the damaged front panels, we gave the piece a light sand and two coats of Behr’s Studio Taupe.

DIY Office Storage Painted

Missing the original drawer panels gave us the perfect opportunity to use one of our favorite ways to customize furniture – Paintable panels from My Overlays. Gwyneth and I used the Gigi Square Overlays on the end of our Expedit Bookcase (as seen here in our NYC apartment and here in our NC home for our recent readers), and for this project our kind friends at My Overlays sent us the Fiona pattern to work with!

My Overlays

The overlays look great when applied right out of the box (check out My Overlays’ project gallery for several beautiful applications), but they can also be painted! And that’s just what we did to ours, using the same Studio Taupe from Behr.

My Overlays_Painting

Once the overlays were dry, we measured, measured again, marked and then trimmed the overlays to fit inside the frame of our cabinets’ drawers. (Please don’t be intimidated by our power tools).

Trimming My Overlays

After popping the overlays inside the front drawer panels, our DIY was complete!

Dumpster Dive Storage Unit With My Overlays

Dumpster Dive Storage Unit With My Overlays

A big thanks to My Overlays for making our home office more organized and for helping us turn one of our favorite dumpster dive finds from trash to treasure (again).

Update: The gals from My Overlays were generous enough to give us a discount code to share with y’all! Get 15% off your order with promo code NEWYORKIE15! Start shopping here!

Part of the Link Parties at:
Live Laugh Rowe, Embracing Change, House of Hepworths, Reasons To Skip The Housework, The Girl Creative, Somewhat Simple, The Shabby Creek Cottage, 504 Main, Blissful and Domestic, Serenity Now, Remodelaholic, Life in a Breakdown, Tatertots & Jello, It’s Overflowing, Be Different Act Normal, Funky Junky Interiors, Tutus and Teaparties, Too Much Time On My Hands, DIY Showoff, I Heart Naptime, The Girl Creative, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Home Stories A2Z, Today’s Creative Blog, Savvy Southern Style, Domestically Speaking, The 36th Avenue, Southern Lovely, Someday Crafts, Suburbs Mama, Five Days Five Ways, Thrifty Decor Chick

Comments

1. It came out so good! You’re inspiring me to start trying to do stuff like this!

Thank you, Niki! And you made our day! Promise, anything we do is TOTALLY easy! We’re not anywhere near experts!!

2. Stunning!

3. Matilda Joyce says:

Gorgeous! And I’d say you’ve got another candidate for Ikea hack of the year!

Thank you, Matilda! We definitely have a candidate for the “how many times can 1 piece of furniture get a makeover” contest!

4. Love it! I have a few furniture projects I’m working on that would look great with some Overlays! I’m going to have to order some!

Hi Andi! Did you order some? Make sure to use our promo code for 15% off! And please let us know what you got and what you’ll be doing with them! We always love your DIYs!

xo,
      mk & Little G

5. Nice work!! Once again you out did yourself. Thanks again…..xo

Thank you so much, Cheryle! We just loved working with you and are so grateful that you helped us bring our dresser back to life!

6. emily t says:

I can’t tell you how much I love this. I wish I could do it to every dresser I have!

7. Long time reader…first time commenter here :) Wow! I love this and love your style over all- I’m really enjoying watching you start fresh in a new space! I’m also from NC (Cary) but live in Charleston, SC now so I love seeing your little updates & instagrams that remind me of home!!

Hi Morgan! Thank you so much for reading and for commenting! So great to hear from you, and you are too sweet! Love hearing from fellow North Carolinians! Thank you again – we’re so thrilled to have you following our Southern adventures! (and all our silly Instagrams!)

8. Mary Ellen says:

Might be your best DIY yet!

9. Wow! Excellent work on this piece, looks fanastic. Thank you for the great resource.

Hi Diane! Thank YOU for the sweet comment! Glad to introduce you to My Overlay’s! You’re bound to find a million ways you can use them at home!

10. Brilliant!

11. This is terrific. What a fabulous idea and it turned out great!

12. awesome transformation! The overlays were such a great idea! If you get a chance, please link this up to my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/05/sunday-linky-party-9.html

13. Can I tell you how much I love your flamingo painting?!?

HA! Yes, it’s a new addition that we are over the moon for! Thank you!

mk & G

14. What a great idea! I’m truly inspired!

15. OMG, so cute!! You are a beautiful genius!

Now I’m off to check out some overlays!

-Courtney

Thank you, Courtney! Make sure to use our promo code if you order, so you can save your 15%!

mk & Little G

16. Love those overlays… need to check them out. I’m featuring your project in the PoPP Spotlight this week. Thanks for linking up.

Thank you so much for featuring us! You made our day! What great company to be in! Thank you again!

Trackbacks

1. [...] #7 ~ dresser with overlays from Meredith and Gwyneth, the New Yorkie [...]