If there is one thing we have learned about San Francisco style, it’s that you will lose if you do not learn to layer. The temperature can vary by twenty degrees, depending on which part of the city you’re in. So if you aren’t staying put, you need to be prepared by piling it on.
Piling it on usually means pants, a knit top, an army jacket and boots. But this past Sunday it was actually warm enough to leave the house with bare legs for the first time since we moved to California. To be accurate, this past Sunday was the first day it was warm enough to leave the house with bare legs, as long as I wore a layering tee, sweatshirt, blazer and scarf on top. This should explain why my legs are about the same shade of white as my Zara skort.
What we have learned through this very brisk summer in San Francisco is that if you are going to layer, you need to consider the various combinations your outfit could take during the day. Since the bottom layer is the only one guaranteed to stay put, using it as your opportunity for a pop of color, keeping the top layers neutral and adding a few accessories that work with all the outfit combinations is the way to go. Hanes sent us a care package with a few colorful basics, and we love how our coral tee pairs with the navy, heather blue and lavender pieces.
1. Karen Walker Harvest Sunglasses from Shopbop
2. Estee Lauder Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick in Candy from Nordstrom
3. Pave Hoop Earrings from Nordstrom
4. Tous Chain Link Scarf (old, but similar style at Bloomingdale’s)
5. Live Love Color Coral Tee c/o Hanes
6. J Brand Ready to Wear Minnie Sweatshirt from Bloomingdale’s
7. Schoolboy Blazer from J. Crew
8. David Yurman Pave Crossover Ring
9. Essie Nail Polish in Bikini So Teeny from Beauty.com
10. Classic Pave Chain Link Bracelet from J. Crew
11. Michael Kors Watch From Charlotte’s
12. Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC Bag from Piperlime
13. Asymmetrical Skort from Zara
14. Sam & Libby Sonia Wedge Sandals from Target
Hanes also sent us a few other pieces from their Undercover Color line for more ways to add pops of color in (ahem) unexpected places. We will not, however, be sharing photos of these pieces on. Gwyneth and I just can’t be responsible for the years of therapy you’d likely be in after seeing them. But as you can see, we now have lots of options for adding personality to our underpinnings, including one bra set, perfect for layering one on top of the other that we think would be perfect peeking out of a white tank paired with denim shorts.
If only it were warm enough her in San Francisco to wear tanks & shorts! We hear it warms up here in September, so until then we guess we’ll have to stick with our warmer, layered version!
As part of their Undercover Color campaign, Hanes also has an online Mood Board Quiz, where you can discover what the color of your panties says about your personality. We don’t think you’ll find our results too shocking:
Find out of your results are as accurate right here!
Shop This Post:
mk & Gwynnie
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.