{Decor} New Apartment – The Good, The Bad and The Very Ugly

Well, it’s been an eventful week over in Nob Hill! Gwyneth and I have been chipping away at unpacking all our boxes and setting up our new space – and loving just about every minute of it. In our first week in our new apartment we’ve experienced the good, the bad and the very, very ugly.

Living Room 3_S

The good is that with the beautiful light from our bay windows and at 800 square feet, our new apartment feels so much bigger than our last San Francisco space and like a mansion compared to our NYC studio apartment. We’re having a blast trying out all the furniture arrangement possibilities, and unpacking has been a million times easier with more space to work!

The bad – more accurately, the very, very ugly – is that we had a nasty hiccup with the new space just four days in. When we moved in, we noticed that the weight and pulley system of our bedroom window was broken, and our maintenance staff had a window repairman fix the it one day last week while we were at work. Gwyneth and I were thrilled to come home to an apartment with a fixed window but brokenhearted to notice my laptop, a few other electronics and one piece of sentimental, irreplaceable jewelry had been stolen that same day. So we’ve prioritized sorting through the police report, dealing with our building’s management and working with our renter’s insurance company over unpacking for now.

On the plus side, making our new space feel like home has truly been “apartment therapy,” and working on the living room has been a nice distraction from thinking about all the photos we never backed up on the stolen laptop. So our work-in-progress living room is what we’ll share with you today! (But before you check out our progress, back up your computer if you’re due! We wish we hadn’t kept hitting the “Later” button on the iCloud reminder!)

Gwyneth on Couch_S

Gwyneth says “Back up your computer!”

Now, you’ll notice that we’re using several things differently in this apartment than we did in our last space. Our bedroom is large enough for our Dumpster Dive Bench to fit at the end of the bed like we had it in NYC, so we think we’ll use our DIY Union Jack Trunk as a coffee table…for now. (History leads us to believe we’ll probably move things around a hundred times!) We’re also using the bench from our last apartment’s courtyard and an extra bookcase we had keeping things organized in our storage closet.

Living Room 1_S

Bookcase_S

Living Room 4_S

Living Room Media Cabinet_S

As you can see, this is just a start! We still need to place the lamps (We’ve got to sort out the cord situation, since we’re floating the couch and coffee table in the middle of the room), start styling the built-in, edit where we’ve placed the other accessories, figure out the window treatments and start hanging some artwork. Gwyneth is tired just thinking about it!

Living Room Console_S

And that’s just the living room! The rest of the apartment looks like this…

Unpacking 2_S

Unpacking 1_S

But despite the work ahead of us and last week’s unfortunate event, Gwyneth and I could not be more thankful for our new space or more excited to (slowly) work on each little area of our new apartment – and of course, share our progress with you! More soon!

mk & Gwyneth

Comments

1. Oh goodness! I’m so sorry to hear of all of your troubles last week! Very scary (and sad about the jewelry). Your new place looks great and you really seem to be handling yourself well despite everything! Hope you have a great week!

Thank you, Julia! It was truly sad & scary, but it was a good reminder that it’s only “stuff.” And also a good reminder to check every last window to make sure it locks! Thank you so much for the encouragement!

mk & G

2. That sucks so bad.. How horrible! I am glad to hear how the new space is coming along! It looks beautiful.

Thank you, Kim! Definitely not the highlight of our adventures, but we’re glad it’s over and excited to keep working on the space!

mk & G

3. Your apartment already looks colorful, warm, and welcoming! I was so excited to see your first pics. And I am so sorry to hear of the items stolen from you. That is just awful!

By the way, the picture of Gwyneth on the sofa with her head resting on the sofa table is totally adorable!! :) I would frame it!

Thank you, MK! We can’t wait to share the rest of it with you!
      And Gwyneth thinks I should definitely frame that photo!

mk & G

4. I’m so sorry about the stolen items! Such an invasion of your privacy…..

Your apt is already looking wonderful and I can’t wait to see more! Do you mind sharing the source for the pink lipstick print?

Wishing you a much better week!
    xo
    Pat

5. Does your Apple laptop have a tracking method similar to an iPad? The one on the iPad shows where it is located and can be tracked to that location.

I wish! So smart, but my model was a few years old before that technology existed! Boo! Thank goodness for renter’s insurance!

mk & G

6. Just had to check in with your blog during my lunch break at school.
    So very sorry to read you were stolen from. It’s an awful feeling.
    I just pray that the Lord above will bless you more than you can imagine
    with trying to replace those valuable items…and that somehow and in someway
    your piece of meaningful and sentimental jewelry will be restored to you.
    On an another note….love the way you’ve decorated your new place.
    I couldn’t help but to gaze out your window and see what looks like
    a wonderful produce market across the street!
    Oh what a good find of a place you’ve found to live!!!
    Thanks for sharing it all with us!!!
    Take care!!!

Thanks, Amy! We’re just glad it’s all over! And yes! That is a produce market across the street! So convenient to hop on over to pick up groceries and fresh flowers! Thank you for coming along on our adventures – we can’t wait to share the rest with you!

mk & G

7. Oh Meredith, I’m so sorry that happened to you.

Your apartment is looking amazing, though! It really has been an incentive
    in getting me to work on my bookcases – thanks for that! :-)

So sweet! Thank you! And so glad to hear you’ve found a little bookcase inspiration here! They’re one of our favorite things to work on!

mk & G

8. I so sorry to hear about your items being stolen. How awful. Hugs.
    Your new place looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing how you decorate the rest of it.

Best, Mree

Thank you so much! We can’t wait to share the rest with you! Now that we’re through all the break-in mess, it’s starting to be a lot of fun!

mk & G

9. I’m sorry to hear such a thing has happened. That is never good! Hopefully everything will work out smoothly for you two. In spite of, your place is coming along pretty nicely.

Thank you! It wasn’t fun, but our insurance company made it as painless as possible! On to the fun part now!

mk & G

10. Your apartment is looking good, like the others you lived in. So sorry to hear about your laptop. I was actually searching my emails last week looking to hear from you. Looking forward to the other emails.

Thank you! And we’re glad to be back! We missed you guys when we were still sifting through boxes!

mk & G

11. What a cute apartment!! I look forward to seeing it fully decorated.
    Sorry about the theft :-(

Thank you! We can’t wait to have it fully decorated too! Although, I bet that’s when we’ll decide to change something! How it always works, right?!

12. Bummer to hear about the theft! Your apartment is coming together though. :-)

13. So sorry to hear about the theft! Great reminder to back my stuff up though :) Love the new apartment!

14. I’m so sorry! I love the pop of pink of your cute chairs.
    Brenda

Thank you, Brenda! We’re just so glad it’s behind us! And thank you for the compliment on the pink chairs – one of our favorite projects!

mk & G

15. it looks lovely! i am so sorry that your things were stolen, especially things that can’t be replaced. i hope they find the person that did it asap!

Thank you! Definitely hate that those things are gone, but it was a good reminder that “it’s only stuff.” I’m just so glad nothing happened to G – she was there to witness it all! If only dogs could talk! She knows so much!

16. That must be the worst feeling in the world to come home and find things missing; however, your attitude toward this unfortunate event is refreshing. Hoping the tracking suggestion works. Love what you’ve done so far and glad that you are able to use design as a distraction when need be. Have a question. Those Umbra white flowers you had up in your New York apartment – will you be hanging them again? I was thinking of purchasing a set but was wondering if it was something you tire of after a while.

Hi Jooselyn! It was definitely shocking and scary! But glad it’s over, and SO thankful for our insurance company. (Insert strong recommendation for USAA here!) The white flowers – YES! We’d like to use them again! We never tired of them in NYC, and we’re looking for the right spot for them now! Stay tuned! We definitely recommend them to add personality to a room in a flash!

mk & G