{Decor} Something Old, Something New

Is anyone still there?  You’d think that the time we haven’t spent blogging has been spent unpacking and decorating our hearts out. But that is not the case; unless you consider moving the same piles of books, framed photos, home accents and other miscellaneous belongings crap from the corner of one room to the corner of another.

There are two reasons why we’ve lived in our new apartment for three weeks and have had so little to share. First, it’s been 70 degrees here, y’all. (We have no idea what this polar vortex everyone keeps talking about actually is.) We just can’t stay inside on our weekend afternoons – there have been Bloody Marys to drink and walks to the park to take.

Second, Gwyneth and I are trying our best to set up our new space so it doesn’t look exactly the same as our last two apartments, and that’s proving to be a challenge when all our things are, in fact, exactly the same. Our process looks like this – scour Pinterest, try one furniture arrangement, stand back and look at it, rejoice, walk to the park, return home, look at our work again, decide to start over, repeat. By round three, this is what my help looks like:

Gwyneth The New Yorkie

While I’m getting in weight training, Gwyneth is getting beauty sleep and we’re having plenty of fun with the furniture shuffling, we were desperate to see some real results in the new space. So we chose our go-to method of making an impact fast – paint. And since we’re trying to make our new space feel special, we had some lengthy debate about what we’d do differently with this apartment and what we just couldn’t imagine leaving with apartments past. For this week’s paint projects, we settled on something old and something new. We think the results might surprise you!

For our something old, we revisited the kitchen from our NYC apartment – painting the back wall with Sherwin Williams’ Minor Blue and putting up our collection of vintage plates.

Kitchen Plate Wall

If we’re going to get technical, there is a minor difference between our new kitchen wall and our NYC version – we decided not to overlap the plates like we had in the past; but instead, separate them like we saw in this Pin. But let’s be honest, they’re the same.

Vintage Plate Collection

Our something new is in the entry. Of course we were tempted to pick up a quart of Benjamin Moore’s Potpourri and paint this puppy pink, but how many times can you recreate the same project? Snooze.

So we picked Sherwin Williams’ Midday - it’s a color that’s new to us, but it compliments the rest of our palette. Plus, it just seemed right considering the sunlight is our favorite thing about our new space.

Yellow Interior Front Door

We skipped making faux panels with painters tape like we’ve done with our previous painted interior doors because we have another detail in store for our yellow door – If we have to have a plastic doorbell eyesore on the dead center of our front door, we’re going to have a plastic doorbell eyesore with a gold vintage frame around it. We need to spend some time sorting through all of the options on Etsy, but right now we’re liking this one.

The bookcase styling is definitely a work in progress (our accessories are in twenty piles in the living room at the moment, remember?), but we think we’ve settled on the mini gallery wall. With less wall space than we’re used to in the living room, we thought we’d make the most of the wall in the entry and hang a few of our favorites. The sailboats were a 16th birthday gift from a talented high school friend in (she painted that in art class, ya’ll), and both Gwyneth’s portrait and the small floral piece are from North Carolina artist, Sue Scoggins.

Yellow Interior Front Door

Now, that concludes what we have to show for our three weeks in the new space. Unless you’d like to see our mess. Then we have lots to show.

Now we’ve got a big decision ahead of us as we keep working on the entryway – a bit of a light fixture challenge. We thought hanging our Olivia Mini Chandelier in the entry was a no-brainer, but on Saturday we discovered that was not the case. The apartment’s “boob light” was so stuck to the ceiling that I had to call a friend to help me take it down. When we finally got it down, we discovered this little surprise underneath.

Entry Chandelier Challenge

Our chandelier’s canopy is smaller than the discolored area, but painting that is no problem. Where things get complicated is that our chandelier’s canopy is not as deep as the metal-we-have-no-idea-what-that-thing-is that’s sticking out of the ceiling is. That beauty would have to stick out to the side of the chandelier. Gwyneth and I can’t decide if we should try and make it work, or if we should just live with the wretched boob light. What do you think? Would that metal thing sticking out to the side of a chandelier be uglier than sin?

Comments

1. Love seeing what you two have been doing in your new home. I love the color of the kitchen wall and your plates. Also loving the front entrance. I am thinking try hanging your chandelier . Otherwise I think you will always have “that space” you are not happy. Would love to see how you styled the shelves on the bookcase :)

Hi Kathy! Thank you for the encouragement! We’re going to give it a shot! Will definitely share the bookcase styling when we’ve figured it out! We’re still stealing things from one “somewhat finished” room as we work on another, but are hoping to have the styling details ready to share soon!

mk & G

2. Looking good! Was just thinking about you two as I was in Raleigh yesterday. Glad you are having nice weather….NC is not!

Try the chandelier……is there any way a small ceiling medallion would hide that thing?

Hi Gina! We found a solution! Update coming soon! In the meantime, hope you are staying warm in NC! Saw on the news that you’ve had a lot of weather!!

mk & G

3. Looks awesome as always…. and yeah we are all here… i love coming back to your blog….:)))… oh i wanted to know how you stick your plates to the wall?? i have been trying to do this in my kitchen wall….and not all my plates come with this hanging thing at the back… so just wondering.. :)…

Thanks! <3

4. I love the yellow you picked for your door. It’s so cheerful! I agree with the others, try hanging the chandelier. Hopefully you won’t notice that weird thing once it’s up.

Hi Andi! Thank you! We are loving the yellow! And good news – we finally found a way to get the chandelier up! We’ll have to post an update as soon! Hope you had a wonderful long weekend!

mk & G

5. I’m gonna give you the same advice as everyone else – go for it!! You never know until you try :)

The plate wall is still amazing! And I love the new color for your door. Everything’s turning out amazing!

6. It IS coming along. Still heartsick over things stolen from you! Shameful!!! I don’t know what kind of hardware stores you have in your neighborhood, but I would take a picture of that ceiling fixture mess and take it to someone who knows something about electrical configurations in old San Fran apt buildings and ask them if there is a remedy that will allow you to restore the ugly boob light some day while enabling you to hang your beautiful chandy NOW. That thing sticking out is odd, to say the least, but maybe it was just something necessary to the old light and it MIGHT be possible to unscrew it. I’ve never seen wiring come out to the side like that but I haven’t lived a hundred years YET!! Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you do!

Vickie, where there is a will and an awesome light store, there is a way! We found an attachment that works with the weird wiring! We’re traveling this week, but can’t wait to write an update post when we get back to SF!

mk & G

7. Like the new updates. I believe Minor blue should be called Carolina blue! ;o) I’m just impressed you know how to hang a chandelier. I need to learn how to do that! This polar vortex thing stinks. I’d give a lot for 70 degree weather right about now. Raleigh is looking to get several inches of snow starting tomorrow.

Yes, Minor Blue should definitely be renamed to Carolina Blue! Hope you are staying warm – know ya’ll got a lot of snow last week!

mk & G

8. I agree with everyone else! Try the chandelier. It’s simply *NOT* yours and Gwyneth’s style to just “live with” that wretched boob light.

Any chance you can have someone take a look at the metal thing and see if it can be removed or cut out?

Who in the world even thought of a boob light?!? The good news is that we took some photos to a light store and found a solution! Update coming soon!

mk & G

9. Love the paint colors you have chosen for the apartment. I would hang the chandelier, nothing is worse than boobs lights. And enjoy that weather, here in NJ we’ve had one snow storm after the other and zero degree temps. so I don’t blame you one bit for Bloody Mary’s and walks in the park, that’s what I would be doing! Enjoy!

Thank you Joen! And good news – we figured out how to get the chandy up! Can’t wait to share it with y’alll soon!

mk & G

10. The yellow door is so perfect! Yellow always puts me in a good mood. BTW, do you have a bloody mary recipe?

11. I’ll say go for the chandelier. I know you can figure out what to do with that thing hanging. Been looking everyday for your email and glad to see one today. Great to hear from you. Everything is looking good but I expect that of you.
    You make everything look great!

You are too sweet! Thank you for the compliment – you put a big smile on both our faces! Can’t wait to share more of the space with y’all soon!

mk & G

12. You always make everything look gorgeous! Do you know anyone that is an electrician so you get some advice re: the wretched wiring thingy? I agree with others…I don’t think you’ll be satisfied until you hang the chandy. I love the yellow door! It makes for a “happy” look. The blue is pretty, especially with the plates.

I’d love a Bloody Mary right now! :)

xo
    Pat

Pat! Thank you! That is exactly what we did! We found a great local electrician, and he knew exactly what to do! We love having the chandelier in the entry now! So glad we didn’t keep that terrible boob light up!

mk & G

13. So happy to see you back, I missed receiving your email notification posts! Enjoying seeing pictures of your new place, amazing as always. Be careful when it comes to electricity especially in an older building, you just never know. Look forward to future posts about any topic, you have a wonderful writing style which I thoroughly enjoy.

Hi Diane! Your comment made our day! And you are 100% right – the wiring in these old buildings can be pretty scary! We found a local electrician and are so happy that we finally got the chandelier up! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

mk & G

14. What about purchasing a deeper canopy for your chandelier? I don’t know if it’s possible with your specific chandy, but here’s a site with some really pretty ones:

I vote for taking some really good closeups of that thingy and bringing them to a lighting store for a consultation. Surely they will have seen just about everything, and can give you some free advice as to whether or not an electrician needs to be involved.

Yes! That’s exactly what we did! We took a bunch of close ups and took them to a lighting store and a deeper canopy was exactly what the salesman recommended! Then we hired an electrician to install it! You are clearly a lighting expert!

mk & G

15. I love your new place. Congratulations.
    Do you think a fabric cord cover would work to cover the metal surprise? I don’t know if it the cover would be big enough to cover the metal and the chandelier cord but it might be worth a try.
    Have fun decorating! Cannot wait to see everything you do. Blessings.

Hi Kristen! Love fabric cord covers! Unfortunately they’re not big enough to cover that hideous “metal surprise,” but we found a solution with a deeper canopy! Thank goodness! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

16. Yay!!
    So happy to ‘read’ that you and Gwyneth are enjoying your new space :)
    I have been checking back to your blog to see any new decor ideas or fashion finds and was so happy to see this post :) I absolutely LOVE the midday color you chose to paint your door! It is so happy and bright!

Hope you have a wonderful day!!

looking forward to reading & seeing more of your new place :)

We have been such bad bloggers recently! Just can’t seem to catch up! Hopefully more updates coming soon! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

mk & G

17. Beautiful work so far! I love the blue paint and yellow paint as well as the plate wall and the gallery wall. So pretty!

I agree — go for the chandelier! If you do not like how it looks once you try it, then consult at a lighting store or spring for having an electrician come by to do some rewiring. I think that would be worth the cost to be able to have your pretty chandelier in the entrance.

Cannot wait to see your next steps. Enjoy the process!

Yes! That’s exactly what we did and it was totally worth the cost! So glad to have that hideous boob light down! We can’t wait to share more of the apartment with you! We’re going a little slow these days, but hoping to get back to a regular blogging schedule soon!

18. Hey Meredith,

I am currently living in NYC and planning to move to San Fran for work. Would love to know how you moved all your beautiful furniture across country and whether it was worth it/cost effective. Maybe it could be a blog post? I am trying to decide if I should just sell everything and start over.

Hi Katie! Good luck with your move! It is definitely expensive, but we did it DIY style by renting a Budget truck rather than going with a big moving company! Hope your move goes well – know it’s a big pain and stress, but it helps to keep thinking about the new place you’ll get to decorate once your stuff finally gets there!